All posts filed under: Community

Storytelling and craft: Ejatu Shaw on her vision and our new features

In 2013, London-based photographer and multidisciplinary artist Ejatu Shaw found her passion for photography during a family trip to her native country, Sierra Leone. She was fascinated by the people she met and the environment she experienced, which inspired her to turn her memories into visual reflections. Over the years, Ejatu has experimented with self-portraiture. As her passion grew, she delved into more deeply-rooted projects, such as “Poly-” and “Teranga,” which allowed her to explore her heritage through her work. We were thrilled to join Ejatu at her recent photoshoot at Spring Studios in London, where she shared her journey with us and explained how our latest features have affected her workflow. During the shoot and creative process, she was one of the early testers of our new features, including ReTether, AI Masking, Snap to Eye, and plenty more. “Poly-“, Ejatu Shaw. Can you tell us about your journey as a photographer and content creator and how you started in this field? I think my knack for photography kicked in during a trip to my …

RAW Talent with Vincent Alban

With a blend of curiosity and family legacy, Vincent has been navigating the world of photography for most of his life. Hailing from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), this recent photojournalism graduate has been joined by his camera since early childhood. Since exploring the countless possibilities photography and storytelling can bring, Vincent has been all about capturing the deep essence of the people he photographs. His moving project “Absence and Presence” highlights the relationship between gun violence, segregation, and poverty. He dives into the human connections that shape these communities. In this interview, we talk about the emotional landscape of his work, the importance of empathy in his approach, the process of finding his artistic voice, and the future. Devon Reynolds feeds his son, Elijah, while watching the movie “Sonic the Hedgehog 2” with sons, Devon Jr. and Karter at Greece Ridge Mall in Greece, N.Y. on April 26, 2022. When did your photo journey start? I traveled a lot when I was younger and always had a camera with me. My grandparents on …

Beyond the lens: unfolding the vision of Dariane Sanche

Step into the exciting world of Dariane Sanche, a Montreal-based photographer known for her fashion, beauty, and portrait photography. Her unique style brings out true emotion and moves beyond regular photography by breathing life into her characters. Join us in a chat with Dariane as she gives us a sneak peek at her art creation and visual journey, diving deep into her inspiration and storytelling. During her recent trip around southern France and Sicily, Dariane captured breathtaking landscapes while testing our mobile app. She highlights the ease of working with less gear and the natural freedom to move that it allows. Dariane, how would you describe your style as a fashion, portrait, and beauty photographer?  For me, photography is a vehicle for capturing emotions and telling stories. My photographs are characterized by a cinematic style. I love contextualizing my photoshoots and immersing my models in characters – like playing a part in a film. Whoever my models are and their status, I like to create a universe around them and capture the essence of the …

RAW Talent with Mary Ashokeji 

Meet Mary, an accomplished photographer specializing in documentary and portrait photography – and shortlisted for the 2023 Student Photographer of the Year for the Sony World Photography Awards. As a person of Nigerian heritage and a devout Christian, Mary’s work always bears a piece of her identity, diversity, and faith. Having dedicated six years to honing her craft, Mary understands the importance of discovering one’s purpose and embracing personal passions – and bringing those to life via her imagery and stories. We had a chat with Mary about how she turned an essential part of herself into an impressive shortlist submission for the SONY World Photography Awards and her experiences in the medium. You’ve recently been shortlisted for the SONY World Photography Awards with your project “Expressions of Worship.” What was your brief? The series was created in response to Sony’s brief, ‘In a Changing World,’ which asked for positive stories motivated by topics such as the environment, technology, and how we work and live. We were told to create work for this as part …